Did you know April is National Greyhound Adoption Month?
For the tenth year, The Greyhound Project celebrates April’s National Adopt-A-Greyhound Month with a national public relations campaign promoting greyhound adoption public service announcements.
Cal and His Search for Long-Term Commitment has been viewed by more than 221,000 people on YouTube, and Cal has more than 1,900 followers on Facebook.
The following are some suggestions to promote National Adopt-A-Greyhound Month for both individuals and groups.
What can individuals do?
- Tell the world. Change your Facebook profile and/or cover photo to share it with friends. Create your own images, or use these:
- Share a video. Visit Cal and His Search for Long-Term Commitment on YouTube, give the video a thumbs up, share it with your friends via Facebook and other social media sites, and like Cal's Facebook page.
- Display your dogs. Contact your adoption group and offer to do meet and greets for them. If you are not near a group, call busy local businesses and ask if you can set up an exercise pen and do your own meet and greet at their facility. The Greyhound Project has produced an informative brochure for potential adopters that you may print and distribute.
Color tri-fold adoption brochure
Black and white tri-fold adoption brochure
- Dogs on parade. The best way to build awareness for greyhounds is getting the dogs out in public. Whether you walk alone or with a group, you are sure to turn some heads. Consider joining a walk for another cause; a group of greyhounds is sure to get the media’s attention.
- Teach the children. Approach your local schools, libraries, or scouting organizations to set up opportunities for teaching and distributing brochures.
What can adoption groups do?
- Distribute PSAs to local media outlets. Do you know someone who works at a local television station? If so, mention to them that April is National Adopt-a-Greyhound Month and ask if they will air one of the PSAs. Copies of two 10-second and one 30-second PSA are available here:
Couch Potato (10 seconds)
Greyhound Hugs (10 seconds)
Cal and His Search for Long Term Commitment (30 seconds)
We recommend the following text for 30-second radio PSAs:
An ex-athlete is waiting to be welcomed into a loving home. There’s a greater need to place ex-racing greyhounds into permanent homes than at any point in recent history as a result of past and pending greyhound racing track closings across the country.
April is National-Adopt-a-Greyhound Month and the perfect time to adopt a gentle companion into your home. Thousands of greyhounds are being cared for by adoption groups as they await adoption.
Please help ensure that 100 percent of these greyhounds find homes by visiting thegreyhoundproject.org for information on how to adopt a greyhound in your area.
- Distribute press releases to local media outlets. Newspapers and radio stations are always looking for local interest stories. By sending a press release with a high-quality photograph of your dogs or adoptable dogs, you increase chances of the story making the publication because they now have a local interest angle.
Tips for talking to the media
Sample press release
More tips specifically for adoption organizations. Last year The Greyhound Project created a guide with some specific Tips & Tricks for Spreading the Word.
By making a donation to The Greyhound Project, you provide funds that allow the Project to reach more people with these spots.