Submit your photos for Celebrating Greyhounds calendars
The Greyhound Project collects photos for the Celebrating Greyhounds wall and desk calendars all year long. The deadline for submitting 2020 calendar photos is March 1, 2019!
We look for photos that show your dog's personality. Typically these will be candid photos of life with greyhounds. Seasonal photos (including holiday themes), photos with children or cats, action photos, and any photo that "speaks" to the viewer are all great candidates. A plain background with no clutter is always a plus. Not sure which photos to send? Set a few on a table and step back. Which ones are in sharp focus and get your attention from a distance? Those are the ones you want to submit.
Photo submission guidelines:
- In an effort to move toward accepting online digital submissions, we ask that you please begin all image file names with "YourLastName_DogName".
- We only accept digital images. The images must have been taken at the highest resolution that your camera will produce to be acceptable for printing.
- Please include a printout of the image (plain paper is acceptable).
- On the front of the printout, clearly print (use a label or tape if needed) the following information exactly as you would like it printed if we choose your photo:
- Your name
- Your dog's name
- Your adoption group or other source of the dog(s)
On the back of the printout, clearly print (use a label or tape if needed) the following information:
- The file name (beginning with "YourLastName_DogName")
- Your mailing address (so we can mail you a calendar if your photo is selected)
- Your email address and phone number in case we have questions
- Please clearly print just your last name on the CD (first choice) or thumb drive with a Sharpie (or label or tape if needed).
- Please do not crop or enlarge a smaller print. Feel free to draw on the printout if you want to suggest crop marks.
- We receive hundreds of photos, so please limit submissions to your very best shots (maximum of five photos per dog).
- Please only send images that are in sharp focus.
- Please send photos in one package and on one CD or thumb drive.
- If you have photos that were taken by someone else, please obtain their written permission for us to use the photos.
- If the photo was taken at a nursing home or therapy program of some sort, please obtain written permission from the program.
The photos for the calendars are selected each Spring for the following year. The members of the photo selection committee change from year to year, depending on who is available to gather around some big tables and go through them. The people looking at the photos generally won't know the people or the dogs in the pictures. We try not to feature the same dog more than once in a calendar, and that's why identification on the front is helpful. It is quite tedious when we've made selections from among hundreds of photos and then find a duplicate later.
The selections for the wall calendar will be taken from photos submitted in horizontal, or "landscape" format, and the desk calendar requires vertical, or "portrait" format photos. Normally, we receive far more photos in landscape, so we have fewer to choose from in portrait.
Please mail your selections to:
The Greyhound Project, Inc.
Attn: Calendar photos
PO Box 5239
Framingham, MA 01701
Sorry, but we are not able to return submissions.
*We request photos on CDs or flash drives because we have to print each photo for the volunteers that get together to select them. We spread them out on tables and move them around for a few hours before finalizing the selections. We are all volunteers and just don't have the bandwidth (or ink cartridges!) to print everyone's photos. We are now accepting overseas submissions via email. Thanks for understanding!
To Purchase a Calendar
Please make every attempt to purchase your 2019 calendars directly from your adoption group. That's why we publish them! If your group is out, you may purchase them directly from us late in the year. Desk diaries are now sold out, and just a few wall calendars remain.
Any groups still interested in purchasing 2019 calendars for resale should email us for an order form.
Lists of hounds included in the 2019 calendars were published on the Celebrating Greyhounds Calendar Facebook page during the summer of 2018.