Recently, our vendor identified and fixed a glitch in their system that caused some users to hit a "too many computers" limit even though they were not exceeding the allowed number of devices. If you encounter "hit limit" problems, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, and tell us what kind of device(s) you are using to read the magazine. We'll get you back in ASAP!
With all the recent changes, we expect some questions. This page should answer most of them, including:
You may send your letter via email to email@example.com. If you would like your letter to be published, please limit length to 250 words or fewer and include your full name and location. Inform the Editor if you wish to include a photograph with your letter and await follow-up instructions for submitting your image file. Please do not include unsolicited attachments with your email.
Letters may be edited for brevity and/or clarity. We regret that we cannot publish every letter.
Note that comments posted on our Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/cgmagazine) may also be selected for publication as Letters in Celebrating Greyhounds Magazine.
Please review the Submission Guidelines.
The preferred procedure for submitting an article is to send an initial email inquiry to the Editor at firstname.lastname@example.org. After the Editor has accepted your proposal, you will receive a confirmation email containing instructions for electronic submission of your article text and any supporting media files. Please do not send email containing unsolicited attachments.
If at all possible, please plan to submit content for CG Magazine electronically. If electronic submission is not possible, you may send your article or other content via postal mail to:
PO Box 5239
Framingham, MA 01701
Please review the Photo Submission Guidelines.
As with article submission, the preferred procedure for submitting all visual content (photographs, videos, or other artwork) is to send an initial email inquiry to the Editor at email@example.com. If the Editor agrees, you will receive a confirmation email containing instructions for electronic submission of your photo or video files. Please do not send unsolicited photos as email attachments.
Photographs that were originally acquired as high-resolution (minimum 300 ppi at 5" x 7") digital images are best. Acceptable formats for photos are high-quality JPEG (.jpg) and uncompressed TIFF (.tif) files.
Videos intended for publication should be submitted as .mp4, .avi, .mov, or .flv files.
Please observe the file naming conventions specified in the Submission Guidelines. Do not use filenames containing slashes (/, \) or special characters.
Each photo or video must be accompanied by text (at the end of an article or as a separate document) clearly identifying the associated image file and listing the following information:
- Name of dog(s)
- Name of adopter(s)
- Location in which the adopter and dog live
- Name of photographer or videographer (if not the adopter)
If the photographer, artist, or videographer is anyone other than the sender, obtain the artist’s permission prior to submitting. Photos or videos received without complete identifying information will not be considered for publication.
Celebrating Greyhounds Magazine maintains a stock file of visual content for general use and will always welcome beautiful images of Greyhounds. If you have high-resolution photographs or good quality video and are interested in providing these materials for our stock file, please contact the Editor to discuss your submission.
If you would like to submit photographs for the Celebrating Greyhounds Calendar, you must send them directly to the calendar at:
Celebrating Greyhounds Calendar
The Greyhound Project
PO Box 5239
Framingham, MA 01701
Send your reprint request to firstname.lastname@example.org. The editor will forward your request to the author. Authors will respond and/or grant reprint permission at their discretion. Celebrating Greyhounds Magazine does not own, sell, or supply article reprints.
Celebrating Greyhounds Magazine offers a free, major events listing service in our "You're Invited" section. We list events (e.g., reunions, picnics, and benefits) on a first-come, first-served basis as space permits.
The deadlines are as follows:
|Month of your event||Deadline||CG Issue|
|MAR through JUL||January 15||Spring|
|JUN through OCT||April 15||Summer|
|SEPT through JAN||July 15||Fall|
|DEC through APR||October 15||Winter|
If we can list your event in more than one issue, we will, space permitting. (For example, an event scheduled in April could be listed in the Winter and Spring issues.)
Please send the details of your event to email@example.com in the following format (no narratives, please):
- Day/date of event
- Name of event
- Name of your group
- Location of event
- BRIEF description of event
- Contact person(s) with phone and e-mail address
- URL for event website
For desktop browsers only:
- First, try using a different browser. For example, some users have reported problems loading the magazine in Chrome but have had success with Internet Explorer.
- Next, check the following link to make sure you have Adobe Flash installed and active in your browser: http://helpx.adobe.com/flashplayer/kb/find-version-flash-player.html. Celebrating Greyhounds Magazine online requires Flash Player.
- If Flash is running on your system but the magazine still won’t load, next check to see if you have an ad blocker or firewall installed that prevents Flash animations from loading in your browser. If you do, then configure it to allow animations to load from all nxtbook.com domains.
- If neither of these tips solves your problem, please contact Nxtbook support at http://www.nxtbookmedia.com/contact-us/product-support/. Please note that the approximate response time for case resolution from Nxtbook support is 3 business days.
For technical reasons, slideshows in the mobile version of Celebrating Greyhounds open in the same browser tab. To return to the magazine, use the back button in your mobile browser.
You will need a computer with at least 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended) and 128MB of graphics memory. Below are the suggested minimum system requirements for different platforms:
- 2.33GHz or faster x86-compatible processor, or Intel® Atom™ 1.6GHz or faster processor for netbooks
- Microsoft® Windows® XP (32 bit) or higher
- Internet Explorer 7.0 or later, Mozilla Firefox 17 or later, Google Chrome, or Opera 11
- Intel Core™ Duo 1.83GHz or faster processor
- Mac OS X v10.6, v10.7, v10.8, or v10.9
- Safari 5.0 or later, Mozilla Firefox 17, Google Chrome, or Opera 11
- 2.33GHz or faster x86-compatible processor, or Intel Atom 1.6GHz or faster processor for netbooks
- Red Hat® Enterprise Linux® (RHEL) 5.6 or later (32 bit and 64 bit), openSUSE® 11.3 or later (32 bit and 64 bit), or Ubuntu 10.04 or later (32 bit and 64 bit)
- Mozilla Firefox 17 or Google Chrome
The following mobile devices are supported for online access:
- Apple devices (iPad, iPhone) running iOS 5 or higher
- Android devices running Android 2.3 or higher
- Kindle Fire
- Nook HD+
- Blackberry devices running Blackberry OS 6 or higher
- Windows Phone 8
- Windows RT
- Windows 8
AIR, PDF and Zip are all different types of offline download available from your computer. (Only the PDF version can be downloaded on your mobile device.) Based on your download speed, one may be better than another for you.
- AIR: Adobe AIR is a program that allows you to experience the feel of the online Magazine without the browser. To save and open CG Magazine with Adobe AIR, click on the "Install Now" box. AIR will begin its installation, and a pop-up will appear: click "open." Next, you want to choose "Install," pick a destination (the easiest being your desktop), and hit continue. In the last pop-up, select "open" and it the AIR will launch. (Please note: If you saved to your desktop, you will see the round nxtbook bubble logo there.)
- Zip: A Zip file is an alternative download method for people who have slower connections. It does take longer, but it contains an alternative AIR file that works the same way as Adobe AIR. To download a Zip file, click on the link to download an alternative offline version. This link will open a pop-up with information regarding where you want to save the file. One you have it downloaded, it should appear as a folder. You will need to choose either open on Mac or open on Windows.
- PDF: A PDF is a flat document download that allows you to view and read CG Magazine offline, but without the dynamic feel of the online magazine. It is static images of the pages that can be downloaded to your desktop and read offline. To access the PDF, look at the bottom of the download page, and click the last blue link that says, "click here to download the PDF." In the pop-up box, make sure you have "save file" checked, and click ok. It should download into your downloads folder.
You can print CG Magazine to a PDF document or straight to paper. To print selected pages from the online magazine, look for the toolbar icon that depicts an abstract printer. (Please note: If you are unsure, mouse over the icons for a text label to appear.) Clicking on this icon brings up a print box where you can select the page range you wish to print. Select the range, and then hit "ok." This will bring up the page setup for printing. Next, choose one of the following print formats:
- Paper: If you wish to print the magazine as a hard copy, continue the page setup as you would normally. When you hit "ok" it will take you to the final box, where you choose the printer and layout. After your selections are complete, hit "print." *Please Note:* Printing a whole nxtbook requires a lot of memory, and in many cases, the printer will fail. Your best choice is to print small batches at a time, usually no more than eight pages. If your printer still fails, try a smaller number.
- PDF: If you wish to have the magazine printed as a PDF, change the selection in the "Format For" drop down to Adobe PDF, then hit "ok." In the next box, do not touch anything except for the button in the lower left corner that says "PDF." Click on that button and choose "Save as PDF." You will have to fill out a title, and a destination, and then click save. This method does take some time. If it does not save correctly, your best bet is to save the PDF in sections.
General Access FAQs
CG Magazine is published in digital format by Nxtbook. The magazine can be accessed at the Nxtbook website using the web browser on your computer or mobile device. A link to the current issue of Celebrating Greyhounds Magazine is available at http://adopt-a-greyhound.org/cgmagazine/current.html.
Beginning with the Winter 2013 issue, subscribers will need to log in to access
the Magazine. Your login ID is the email address that you provided us for this
purpose; active subscribers should have received an email containing a temporary
password for initial log in only. Please note that you must change your password
upon initial access.
You may choose as your new password any combination of letters and numbers,
with a minimum length of 3 characters. After you log in, the book should load.
Click on the arrows at the corners of each page to flip to the next page; click
anywhere on the page to zoom in and out. Mouse over near the top of the browser
window to hide and show the Nxtbook toolbar.
When you click on the link to open the magazine, you will be directed to that
login screen. Click on the "forgot password" link and follow the instructions to
recover your password. An automated email will be sent to you from
firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make sure you add this to your contacts list
so it does not get marked spam or bounced. If you do not receive an email within
three days, please contact our subscriptions manager at email@example.com with your name, email address, and a subject line of, "I forgot my
At the login screen, select the "change password" link and follow the
instructions to enter your login ID, old password, new password, and confirm new
password. Your new password must be a minimum of 3 characters and can be any
combination of letters and numbers. If you have problems changing your
password, please send an email to our subscriptions manager at
firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, email address, and a
subject line of, "I have a problem changing my password."
There is a limit to the number of computers or mobile devices on which you can view your copy of Celebrating Greyhounds. That limit is set at three (3) devices. You might receive this error message if any of the following apply:
- Solution 1: If you use multiple computers and devices, or open the magazine at multiple locations, you will most likely hit your limit. Restrict your access to three devices, or contact us with your name, email, and a subject line of "Hit limit" for more help. If you're using fewer than three devices, see Solution 2, below.
- Solution 2: When you open the online Magazine on your computer or mobile device for the first time, it leaves a cookie. This cookie allows the magazine to be opened repeatedly on that device without having it count against the device limit multiple times. If the cookie is deleted, the next time you open your magazine, another cookie will drop, and it will be as if you opened the magazine on a completely new device. Do this more than once, and you'll exceed the limit. To solve this, do NOT delete cookies from your computer. Check that no background program is set to delete them as well. For additional support, please contact us with your name, email, and subject of "Hit limit" and we'll investigate this issue.
- Solution 3: iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch users only: If you are not deleting cookies, your device's cookie setting is most likely incorrect. Go into Settings, then choose Safari. On the right side should be a row for cookies. Make sure the selected setting is "from visited." If this does not help, please email us with your name, email, and a subject of "Hit limit" for more support.
Current Issue: A link to the current issue of Celebrating Greyhounds is available at http://adopt-a-greyhound.org/cgmagazine/current.html. If you are a current subscriber, you will receive an email every time a new issue goes live. These emails are computer-generated and are sent to the email address you provided when you subscribed. If you are not receiving these emails, please check your spam/junk folder. Make sure that the email address you are using is the one you provided to us. If you still are not receiving email notifications about your subscription, please contact us with your name, email, and a subject line of "Not receiving email with issue links."
Past Issues: You may access past issues of the digital edition of Celebrating Greyhounds, which are archived with every new issue release. To access past issues, open the current issue and click on the "More Options" button in the Nxtbook toolbar. Select "Archives" and then choose the issue you are looking for. If you are still unable to find the archived issues, contact us with your name, email, and a subject line of "Unable to locate archives" for more help.
Your subscription allows you to provide access to each issue for one (1) guest, using the "Share" option in the Nxtbook toolbar. Your guest will be able to open and view the full issue of the magazine on up to two separate occasions, and on no more than two different computers or devices.
You will need to have an active Internet connection in order to access the fullfeatured online version of CG Magazine. However, you will also be able to download a static (PDF) version and save it for offline viewing. The PDF version will contain all of the text, still photos, and web links that appear in the online version but will not contain any videos, slideshows, or special animation.
To save a copy of Celebrating Greyhounds for offline reading:
- On your computer: Open the magazine in your web browser. Across the top will be a toolbar with several options. (Please note: If you do not see a top toolbar, it is hidden by request. Simply mouse over the top of the window and the bar should drop down.) The toolbar will have icon pictures - look for the download icon on the right. Click on this and it will open a new screen. This screen has several download options: Please see FAQ 13 "What is the difference between AIR, PDF and Zip downloads?" to select the best option for you.
- On your iPad/iPhone: To save the magazine on Apple devices, open the issue in your mobile browser (Safari). Across the top will be a toolbar with several options. (Please note: If you do not see the top toolbar, simply tap the top of the window and the bar should drop down.) Tap the "PDF" button on the toolbar to download a copy of this issue to your device. We recommend saving and viewing offline copies of the Magazine using iBooks.
- On your Android device: To save the magazine on an Android device, open it in your browser. Across the top will be a toolbar with several options – select the option that says "PDF" to download the PDF onto your device. (Please note: Any Android device running 1.7 or earlier may have some trouble opening a nxtbook.)
Need more assistance with technical or access questions? Send us an email - we're here to help!